Should I Make My Own Website?
The prospect of creating your own site can be at once stressful and exciting. All of this will eventually give way to hard work and frustration granted, but initially there is a lot of hope and possibility. There are some positive aspects as well however. We’ll go over some of the pros and cons of creating your own website.
Why you should make your own site:
- It is way less expensive than hiring someone to make a website for you. A custom website can cost a couple thousand on the low end, up to tens of thousands. This is just for a small site; large corporations can spend hundreds of thousands or even millions.
- You are in full control of your site. Sure when you hire someone else you can direct them, but choosing your own layouts, colors, adding your own graphics can be a satisfying experience.
- You can change it anytime and anyway you want to. If you design your own site you will have an idea of how to make the changes you want as you go. If your business grows you can make the changes you need yourself. If you decide on different headlines, graphics or anything else you are in full control.
- Learn something new. Whether you are satisfied with your site and love the work you did, or throw in the gloves and decide to hire someone, now at least you have some kind of background in web design, and this may help you hire a better designer in the future… or not if you love your site.
Why you should hire someone to create your website:
- It takes a long time. Granted it is going to take a long time if you hire a designer as well, but this will take longer, and the time and effort you put in are most likely going to result in quite a bit less than if you had hired a web designer. Even if you get a template, there is still going to be a lengthy learning curve and you are going to be making improvements and changes for months after.
- Mistakes will be made. The first time, or even the tenth time you design a website is going to be a difficult experience. You are going to mess up, and some typos, graphic errors etc. you may not notice until later. If you don’t mind a few bumps in the road this is fine, but be prepared to look a bit unprofessional until it is perfected.
- It is more difficult to rank high on searches. One of the factors search engines take into account when ranking pages is the background code, and it is going to be very hard to rank high if you are not familiar with coding, or if you use a template which does not allow this option.
There is a lot to consider when creating a website. Whether you decide to go on your own or hire a professional though, having your website is always a great idea.